Viewing User Profile for: swholmes
About Contact
Last Post: Jul 27, 2012 01:36 PM

View User Blog
Post Statistics
swholmes has contributed to 25 posts out of 1071 total posts (2.33%) in 2,539 days (0.01 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Bugs/Errors » Attack small empires Jul 27, 2012 01:36 PM (Total replies: 1)

I have to agree with our friend here. I bet this type of thing is a leading cause of new players not coming back.

Changes/Suggestions » Send an email invite to all the old players Jul 27, 2012 09:43 AM (Total replies: 1)

I really like that I was emailed saying a new game was about to start on Saturday. If you have the email addresses, send out an invitation asking them to join this round. Something like:

Dear Scott,

A new Blitz round has started and we'd like you to play! (or something along those lines). It's one thing to say a new round has started, but it's an entirely different thing to specifically ask someone to play.

Changes/Suggestions » Clean up the forums Jul 26, 2012 08:29 PM (Total replies: 0)

I often get lost navigating the forums, there are too many, and not enough posts.

Reduce the forums to:
Annoucements
New Player Help
Standard Game
Blitz Game
General Discussion

we don't need all the other forums

Changes/Suggestions » Allow players not appear on-line Jul 26, 2012 08:27 PM (Total replies: 1)

wow, what a great idea!

Changes/Suggestions » autobuy autosell on pm by placing orders Jul 25, 2012 04:36 PM (Total replies: 2)

This is a good idea - Right now you can only buy what's on the market. By allowing players to put up orders that would get filled (or not if the buy order is at the wrong place) will help reduce some micromanagement.

I don't think it will really reduce time requirements though. This game is geared towards doing one thing with 800 turns (in Blitz), and aside from maging, it can literally take hours. Sure, you can do things much faster, but you will never come close to competing against someone who takes their time to micromanage each turn.

Maybe the time issue is the amount of turns you can store up. I played a game very similar to this where you could only store 150 turns max, so even though you had to check in daily, it only took about 20 minutes. (you couldn't destroy buildings so specialized runs didn't happen)

cheers,
Sprawling / Scott

Bugs/Errors » Voting site errors Jul 24, 2012 09:10 AM (Total replies: 1)

I've been voting and checking the voting sites for the new1000ad listings, here's the issues I found:

http://www.browsergamelist.com/vote.php?gid=134 says incentive url not found

http://www.gamesites200.com/mpog/index2.shtml can't find new1000ad listing

http://top50.onrpg.com/ can't find new1000ad listing

http://www.mpog100.com/index.php?a=search&q=new1000ad no results for new1000ad, can't find listing

http://mgpoll.com/ can't find new1000ad listing

Changes/Suggestions » Forum/game ID Combination - pro saving Jul 21, 2012 01:43 PM (Total replies: 11)

I know this thread is somewhat old, but I'll put in my 2 cents anyway.

There should be an advantage for doing the pro runs manually. Perhaps if you used a saved pro run then you only get 80% of the end results? The same could be said for auto-pro.

cheers,
Sprawling

Changes/Suggestions » Allow players not appear on-line Jul 21, 2012 01:40 PM (Total replies: 1)

It may add a bit more excitement if we were able to be shown as online when people are looking at scores. The only way to make this fair would be to not show online players to the hidden player, and only allow them to change the hidden/visible option once per 24 hours or something.

Changes/Suggestions » The Game from a New Player's Perspective Jul 19, 2012 05:20 PM (Total replies: 15)

Pharrell helped me a great deal, I wouldn't have continued playing if it wasn't for his help , it was too frustrating.

After that I saw players who destroyed everyone, or who would do an incredible attack run from near the bottom to #2 (that crazy Inca guy who threatened everyone), from there I just started asking them questions and they were always happy to help.

I haven't played the last couple rounds because I can't play on Saturdays in the summer, and that's when a Blitz round ends.

As for guides: civilian specific start up guides are what's needed (in my opinion). Once a player figures out their economy they can plan for maging and attack runs. I know there are many guides, but they can be hard to find, maybe link directly to them in game?

Cheers,
Sprawling / Scott

Changes/Suggestions » New building: Protected Storage Apr 20, 2012 01:46 PM (Total replies: 1)

I know that people use the markets for storage, but I'd like to see a building (can only have 1 and make it expensive) that allows you to store something like 5 mil food, 1 mil wood, 1 mil iron. Make it available only after pro has ended.

This way after getting beat into the ground it's a bit easier to get going again, especially in Standard.

Thanks,
Scott / Sprawling

Empire Builder » Change attack range from -50/+100 to -25/+100 Apr 16, 2012 08:33 AM (Total replies: 4)

75% would be ok, here's why:

Currently, considering no research/wine/wall/etc, and assuming that 75% of available land is used for forts / towers (towers for best defense score)

Attacker: 4 million land, 75% for forts = 333,333 forts = 500k troops = 20 mil attack with Swordsmen.

Defender: 2 million land, 75% for towers = 375,000 towers = 18.7 mil defense.

No chance to defend.

Now, at the proposed change to a range of -25%

Attacker: 4 million land, 75% for forts = 333,333 forts = 500k troops = 20 mil attack with Swordsmen.

Defender: 3 million land, 75% for towers = 562,500 towers = 28.1 mil defense.

Relatively easy to defend against if you've planned properly. This also would make research much more important.

Cheers,
Sprawling

Empire Builder » Lady Derini - 16 hours and you are homeless Apr 14, 2012 12:44 PM (Total replies: 6)

I think I came close, I destroyed over 2 million buildings if I remember correctly. I hit her with 300k catapults. However, she recovered very quickly

Empire Builder » Change attack range from -50/+100 to -25/+100 Apr 14, 2012 12:43 PM (Total replies: 4)

I've been warned by other players that a certain someone sits online waiting for your empire to get a score of exactly 50% of theirs so they can attack you, and yup, right on queue, it happened.
At the time I had 80% of my land as forts, and they were full of swordsmen/archers, and I stood no chance in defending myself.
It's easy to avoid, I just check to see if that person is on and log off if they are. However, since there is no reasonable way someone can defend against someone twice their size, the attack range should be changed.

Just my 2c.

Thanks,
Sprawling

General discussion topics » Is there a test game? Apr 10, 2012 07:42 PM (Total replies: 1)

I wanted to try a few different startup strats but don't really want to have to wait for new games to start to give them a try. Is there a test game set up that I could do 320 / 800 turns, delete, start again?

thanks,
Scott / Sprawling

General discussion topics » Animations and images Apr 10, 2012 07:38 PM (Total replies: 2)

It's a mixed blessing, yes, animations would make the game prettier, but I'd be the first to turn them off so it didn't slow down my run.
Following many of the ios games, having animations for all types of attacks (army, catapult, thieves) and perhaps exploring and bad events (starvation, freezing) would be typically.. just please, let us turn them off!

Bugs/Errors » Can't login to game(Blitz) Apr 1, 2012 08:35 PM (Total replies: 4)

If this is still happening, just switch browsers (Chrome, Firefox, etc) That will fix that.

Empire Builder » Lady Derini - 16 hours and you are homeless Apr 1, 2012 08:33 PM (Total replies: 6)

You have a score of 225M and yet somehow you attack me when I have 75mil score.

No biggie, I encourage it.

In 16 hours you will be homelessed. Defense up.

Sprawling

Medieval War » Mobile site / iphone-android version Apr 1, 2012 04:16 PM (Total replies: 2)

In order to attract more players, perhaps a mobile site done with jquery would work. It could then be linked to a very simple iphone app that just loads the mobile site. I'd love to be able to check up / play on my phone.

cheers,
Scott / Sprawling

Medieval War » #2 player (lonelylady) vanished Mar 29, 2012 12:06 PM (Total replies: 9)

Those two banned players should have been deleted since Cyber was the only one large enough to attack them, so it was free land for him. He just took 19 million land, putting his score almost 500% higher than the #2.

Medieval War » #2 player (lonelylady) vanished Mar 29, 2012 11:42 AM (Total replies: 9)

It was a great deal of fun playing with the catapults. If I had managed my resources/planned better I could have done way more damage...next time!

Time: Wed January 16, 2019 6:21 AM CFBB v1.4.0 31 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2007